Tuesday, December 13, 2022

The following are 4 devotions I recently used for our Women's Ministry Simply Still event.  It was a blessed time for reflection and relaxation during this busy Christmas season.  I pray that they touch your heart as well.  

Leave Room for Cream!

 

Psalm 46:10

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

 

Psalms 37:7

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.

 

If you’re a lover of coffee swirled with oodles of cream, then you understand how crucial it is when you order coffee at a restaurant.  Or maybe you’re at a friend’s house and when she gently pours fresh brewed coffee into your mug, you politely stop her from filling it up too far.  Some of you would even go so far as to say you like a little bit of coffee with your cream! In that case, you are really careful about not filling your cup up too much.  But then it happens. Your server completely forgets you need room for cream, pouring freshly brewed coffee all the way to the brim of your cup. It’s so full, some of it even splashes out, making a nice little puddle right smack in front of you. Ughh! What a mess!

 

What a powerful picture of what our lives can be like! When we don’t leave room for any margin– cramming our schedules to the brim–everything splashes out and before we realize it, we have a huge mess right smack in front of us.   We keep filling our lives up with more and more. We say yes to every request without thinking it through. We scurry around with a sense of urgency, afraid we’re going to miss out on something. And just like that server who thinks we like black coffee, we keep on pouring until there’s no room left.  But instead of coffee creamer, in that moment we realize we have no room left.

 

No room to just rest. No room to sit still and read a book. No room to have even a five-minute conversation with our spouse. No room to let the kids just play outside. No room to listen to our teen or friends unload about their bad day. No room to be refreshed. No room to be still in the presence of God.

It’s especially easy to find ourselves in this overflowing mess during the Christmas season. We say we want to leave room for cream, yet we keep on filling the cups of our souls to the brim. 

 

Gotta send out those 100 Christmas cards!  We already have three parties scheduled, but I think we can fit this one in too. We’ve already reached our limit of spending, but a little more won’t hurt. I wasn’t going to buy anything for that friend, but now that they’ve given me something I need to get them something in return.  I wanted to have a simple Christmas at home, but they’re expecting us to be there!  We really want to go to the Christmas Eve service, but we have so much to do. My house isn’t decorated like hers, so I’ve got to go out and buy some more stuff to keep up. And the list goes on.  What’s the one thing that causes your schedule to overflow? Have you left room for anything else?

 

The thing about a cup of black coffee filled up to the brim is that there are only two ways to make room for any cream.  You can either drink the black coffee until you have enough room, or you can pour it out. Either way, it’s going to be inconvenient. If you’re used to sweet cream, the black coffee can be bitter to the taste. And if it’s really hot, you can’t quickly drink it down to where you want it without burning your mouth.  If you attempt to pour it out, you’re most likely going to make a mess as it drips down the side of your cup. Believe me, I’ve tried this many times!

 

If the cup of your soul is filled to the brim, and it’s too crowded for the peace of Jesus to flow through, what can you do? Sometimes we may have to drink the bitter cup we’ve poured. It’s not pleasant. Maybe we get burned and experience grueling pain. But going forward, we’ll know better. We’ll know next time not to make a rash decision. We’ll know next time to think through a situation, asking God for wisdom. Even when we make a mess of things, God’s grace is always available. We humbly learn that the next time we will leave room for cream.

What about you, dear friend? Are you leaving room for His peace and rest this Christmas season? Are you intentionally slowing down and keeping your focus on Him? Or do you already feel your cup getting too full? Are you allowing others to fill your cup to the brim without saying stop?

 

Relax with your family. Celebrate your friendships. Rest in His presence. Enjoy your cup of coffee, but whatever you do…….leave room for some cream.

Dear Lord,

I pray that I would be still and know that you are God right here, right now. So often I let my hurry or someone else’s hurry fill my mind causing me to strive harder, to worry, to be impatient.  I pray that you would still my mind and that I would contemplate only YOU. I pray that I would rest in your peace. That I would rest in your unchangeable nature and promises. That I would rest in your complete control over all that happens in my life.  I pray that I would rest easy throughout this day knowing you are a good, good God.  In Jesus’ name, amen. 

 

No Room

John 110-14

He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.  The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

If you have ever been in a busy tourist town during peak season, you may have noticed "no vacancy" signs in front of many motels. These signs simply mean that the motels are full. 

Sometimes motels and inns don't have room for people, but sometimes people don't have room for others in their hearts. Maybe a group at school won't make room for someone who isn't as smart or athletic or physically attractive as they are. Maybe at church a group of friends stands around talking after the service but won't make room for newcomers--people who are hurting and longing for a friend.

Luke tells us there was no room for Mary and Joseph in the inn at Bethlehem. Jesus was born into a world of people that had no room for him. And later in life he was hated and rejected. "He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him."

In this Advent season, is there room in your heart for the Lord Jesus?

So many things can fill our lives and make us busy: family, friends, careers, sports, and the general business of life. But do we have room for the Lord Jesus, and for others who need to know his love?  Perhaps this Christmas you could make room for Jesus and let him stay in your life.

Lord Jesus,

 

Your love, Your grace, Your mercy astounds me. The lengths You go to make Yourself known to us is staggering. Teach us the necessity of reciprocating that relationship — to make room for You in our hearts, making time to seek You first. So often we do not make room for you and others. Fill our hearts, and by your grace help us to accept others who need love and friendship.  You came to earth so that we could know You. Help us to take time to listen and feel your presence.  In Jesus’ name, amen.

 

The Work of Being in Wonder

Luke 2:19-20

But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. 20The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.

Someone once said that after God created the world and assigned various tasks to the elements of his new creation, there was one job that remained unassigned: the work of being in awe and wonder. It’s not a task of doing. It’s a task of delighting (or simply being in awe)! God then gave that important job to the crowning element of his creation: humankind.  In the Scripture verses we find Mary engaged in this awesome work. She “treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.”  There was certainly a lot to treasure and ponder: a miraculous pregnancy; a healthy baby; a surprise visit by some shepherds; and a report of angels in the skies over Bethlehem!  A few months before these events, Mary had found someone to join her in the work of wonder: her cousin Elizabeth. Together they had delighted in what God was doing for them and through them.

Are you ready for this assignment from God? There is so much for you to ponder! You’ve awakened to a new day, to a world filled with beauty and delight. Above all, God has given you the awesome gift of his own Son to reshape your future.  Can you slow down today—enough to reflect, remember, and recall?

Lord Jesus,

 I long for joy in my heart and peace in my soul. Bless me with contentment, so I may know what it feels like to love this life entirely. I desire to be near You every moment, and I know if I am, I will be able to receive the joy that is waiting for me. Hold my hand, guide me, and let me live in Your perfect will. Wrap Your Spirit around me, so my every breath is in sequence with Yours. Let peace envelop my thoughts and encompass my body. May I never, ever pull away. Help me put away the idol of busyness. Prepare me for this assignment, the work of being in awe at you and at all you have done. Help me see your wonders.   In Jesus’ name, amen.

Are You Ready for Christmas?

 

The closer we get to Christmas Day, the more you’ll hear this question:  “Are you ready for Christmas?”  What exactly does this question mean to you?  “Have you finished your shopping?”  “Have you wrapped all your presents?”  “Have you bought all the food you’ll need for that perfect Christmas dinner?”  “Have you finished buying those last-minute stocking stuffers?”  I think these are the thoughts that pop into our head when people ask, “Are you ready for Christmas?”

 

But deep down in my heart, I’m never comfortable answering this question. If Christmas is truly about the coming of Jesus to save us from our sins, then perhaps the question we should really be asking is this:  Are we ready for Christ?  Are we ready to humbly admit our need for a savior?  Are we ready for Jesus to continue refining the rough places of our ugly flesh?  Are we ready to surrender that one area of our lives that keeps tripping us up?

Are we ready to say yes to Him when our fear compels us to say no?

 

I’d much rather answer the questions about whether my shopping is done and if the girls’ stockings are ready. It’s easier to smile and say I still have that one last gift to wrap and those last few items to get at Walmart for our Christmas brunch.  But it’s much harder to admit that my flesh is still fighting against selfish pride.  Every. Single. Day.

I need a savior every moment of every day!  It’s hard to confess that there are several rough places in my soul needing a gentle touch and smoothing out by the grace of God.  I need Jesus to not only be my redeemer, but my holy refiner!  It’s hard to own up to the fact that I’m fearful of the unknown and what lurks around the corner of the next phase of my life.

I need the peace of Jesus to calm my fears!  Am I ready for Christ?

 

I’m ready for Him to take all the yucky, ugly, shameful, fearful things in my flesh and make them into something beautiful that only HE can accomplish. Yes, I’m ready. Because my way of doing things–apart from Him–doesn’t usually turn out very well.

 

On Christmas Day, the gifts will be unwrapped, the stockings will be emptied, and the food will be gobbled up. And afterward the tree will come down, the Christmas decorations boxed up and the after-Christmas sales will expire.  Nobody will ask you again until next year, “Are you ready for Christmas?”  But each and every day after Christmas, we must answer this question: Are you ready for Christ?

 

Ready for Him to interfere with your plans?  Ready for Him to lead you out of your comfort zone?  Ready for Him to take you to the next step of his purpose for you?  So dear friend, I ask you to answer honestly……Are you ready for Christ?

 

I pray God’s richest blessings upon you and your families. May you have a Merry Christmas! But most importantly, I pray you will embrace Jesus Christ every day of the year.

 

Lord Jesus,

 

We thank you for this time together and for this opportunity to focus our attention on the true reason for the season. Jesus! We pray that tonight will be filled with laughter, joy, and peace as we celebrate the birth of our Savior. God Bless everyone here and may everyone feel Your presence this Christmas season. In Jesus’ name, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment